25 April 2008

Singin'

My last day of work at my old job was on a Friday. I practically skipped down the street on my way to the bus stop, I was so happy.

I am not usually the type of person who sings out loud, but that morning I almost couldn't help it. There was no traffic, no one around, so for no particular reason I started humming, then singing... "Islands in the Stream." At first I was thinking about the Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton version, then I started thinking about that episode of The Office and Michael's falsetto take on Dolly Parton (which I was sure I would find on YouTube, but it's nowhere to be found!)

I was giggling out loud to myself, and the street was empty - but then suddenly it wasn't! This guy on a bicycle appeared out of nowhere and slowly passed me on the left... as though he had been following me silently for a while, then decided it was time to speed up and move on. I averted my eyes as hard as humanly possible.

In a fictional, alternate version of this story that I would almost prefer: he should have come up from behind me and then joined in. It is a duet, after all! As embarrassing as it was, I can't help but feel he left me hanging a little bit.

No comments: